Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Yesterday I awoke like any other day. After getting the kids off to school, my first cup of coffee and then looking at my calendar I realized that it was Thanksgiving in Canada. Being Canadian, loving another day to be thankful not to mention yummy food..... I thought I'd try to meet my brother for lunch to celebrate Thanksgiving.

Myke and I did have a delicious lunch over in Orange @ Panera. It was great to catch up with him and I just love hanging out with him, he's a great guy. On my way home from lunch I decided that I'd try to surprise the family with maybe not a 'traditional' Thanksgiving dinner but a Thanksgiving dinner none the less. Obviously I wasn't going to be able to cook a 'traditional' turkey...... I was running out of time. I headed to the store and picked up the last available like it was there just for me pre-cooked turkey. I was SO delighted. Then potatoes, ingredients for everyones favourite creamed corn (NOT the canned kind), salad, dressing, and in my books a definite Thanksgiving important food item...... pumpkin pie with whip cream. No, the pie was not homemade which I think are the best but time was an issue for me and this Vons bakery pie was quite tasty and two of my non-pumpkin pie eaters tried some and were surprised at how much they loved it.

My second oldest Hannah, helped me get dinner ready. She really likes working in the kitchen. Emma helped to set the table which she seems to enjoy and take pride in doing, very cute. We then sat around the table eating some deliciously filling food while taking turns around the table sharing what we were each thankful for. It seemed to go on and on and I'm very happy to say we have a lot to be thankful for! Though I've not celebrated Canada's Thanksgiving for the time I've lived here (mostly due to little ones and lack of planning) I took pride in a tradition I grew up with and hey, any day is a good day to reflect and be thankful. I wanted my kids to appreciate some of their herritage but mostly I want them to grow up in the habit of being thankful.

No comments: